Morning – On the way to Preschool
Waterproof clothing and boots are often made of plastic treated with chemicals to resist rain and bad weather.
School bags in imitation leather may contain harmful phthalates that make plastic soft. The same applies shirts with printing of PVC.
Plastic is also in the car when the child gets a ride. The instrument panel is usually made of plastic foam covered with PVC, and can contain both phthalates and flame retardants. Upholstery and cushions can be treated with flame retardants.
What You Can Do
- Walk or bike to school or kindergarten if you are able to do so. If you go by car, run the first minute with open windows.
- Avoid parking your car in direct sunlight.
- Loosely bound chemicals vaporized to a greater extent at high temperatures.
- Avoid clothes, shoes and bags made of PVC.
- Choose eco-labelled garments.